Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Musings on the Conjure-Weasel

I wonder now about the name they gave that creature that fed remotely on Hevran: Ferrington's Conjure-Weasel. Of course there was nothing left but the name and the half-remembered statements made by Rhyme the right before! They skinned it for it's hair and burnt and ate its inner flesh.

Some said it was 8 feet long, others said 3 feet; what use are the observations of fleshkind, and simpletons at that! But it was certainly larger than a natural creature, its body and mind perverted by long exposure to wild magic, probably breeding true in its offspring. I wonder if their lives are also prolonged somewhat (though naturally not for eons as the Powers that dwell in Cays)?

If I could be certain of meeting no more dangerous creature, I would wander further from the caravan; such a creature could take no sustenance from my own solid stature and I might have the opportunity to study its Distance talent. Can it use it only to 'port the red life fluid or can it also 'port earth when burrowing, or even Move itself some distance? I would hope to investigate this by engaging in some distance-play with it using a simple Mage Hand spell.

Better yet, it might be possible to take such a creature as a familar, though their exposure to wild magic might make them resistant to the spell and its appetites might make it (and myself) an unwelcome guest. Still, if they could be given a steady supply of animals and enemies, they would make a useful and possibly quite intelligent companion for a mage.

2 comments:

SpacerGuy said...

The tinkers don't inspire Nexan's confidence. Hes barely managed to learn to tolerate the fleshkinds. With this killer creature within his sights things are looking up. Which group of two legged skins does Nexan plan on yielding as a tasty source of sustenance?

Nova Dove said...

Right, he's not well equipped to get on with his fellow travellers.

Nexan eats minerals!